Monday, September 28, 2009

Just Across the Road



When I drive along the driveway to the parking lot where I work, it is not unusual to see deer, sometimes alone or sometimes in a herd much like here.   I have noticed through the years, they seem to notice us (the humans) less and less almost to the point of ignoring us. As I drove by that day, I could see that the inquisitive ones looked up from their morning breakfast.  But I saw one who didn't even notice.  I think they tolerate us, trust us, and know they are not harmed here.  They have a comfortable sense of security.





 How could they not realize danger when it is so near?   Do they not know these are the same humans that scour the hills and hollows to hunt and kill them, we say in our superior attitude.  

Last week, I had to stop in the driveway at work and shoot a couple more pictures of the deer.  And yes, I was a little taken back at how close they had come to the humans.  They had moved from the fields and grass of the property to across the road in the more human area.  I wondered if they knew we were taking their pictures because it seemed unusual to see them so close to the buildings especially with all the cars parked in the parking lot.





Now we humans become a little puffed up at how much smarter we are than the deer that wander the fields, woods, the parking lots and yes even around the flag pole.
 But are we any better?  Do we sometimes woo ourselves into a false sense of security when calamity is around the corner?   Now, I am not someone who sees a demon in every bush, but the Lord says in Matt 10:16  "Behold , I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

Just remember the deer only crossed the road.





1 comment:

  1. Great story Marie. I love your writings.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete